Sunday, February 26, 2012

Funnel Cakes

I will never forget the first time I convinced Mark we should make funnel cakes. He was pretty skeptical kinda like when I told him about cupookies .To him funnel cakes were fair food. Food you got at fairs not food that you could make in your own house! My mom and I developed a recipe for these a  long time ago and they have been a family favorite ever since. So, I made them for him ignoring his skepticism and he was happy to say the least!
Now he makes them for me…at least he did this year on my birthday! :) They are so easy and a lot of fun too.
Recipe:
1 1/4 Cup Milk
2 Large Eggs
1 3/4 cup Flour
1 Tbls sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
Beat eggs until frothy. Then beat in milk. Add all other ingredients until the batter is smooth.IMG_6630
In a skillet heat 1” oil over medium heat until hot enough to fry. (Just drop a test piece and if it floats to the top the oil is ready…or if it burns turn the oil down!) IMG_6631
IMG_6632
Pour batter into a spiral shape about 6” in diameter. Fry until golden brown on bottom and flip over to brown the top.
  IMG_6635IMG_6636IMG_6637
Remove from pan, drain on cookie rack and add toppings! IMG_6640
Topping ideas:
Sugar
Powdered Sugar
Cinnamon Sugar
Strawberry Jam
Honey
Syrup
Chocolate Syrup
Caramel Sauce
Strawberries/Blueberries/Raspberries….berries!
And anything else you can think of! IMG_6641
I put cinnamon sugar, syrup and powdered sugar on mine. My favorite thing is honey and powdered sugar, or chocolate sauce with strawberries…but we didn’t have any of those things.
Tips from Kj:
These can be eaten at breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert! :) I prefer all meals of the day be funnel cake haha For the rest of the week I was sneaking bites of these throughout the day. I’m pregnant…its allowed!
If you actually have a funnel you can pour the batter through the funnel and it will make a more uniform size of cake. We just randomly poured. It all tastes the same! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment