Sunday, December 18, 2011

Chicken Alfredo with Zucchini and Mushrooms

Happy Christmas break! I guess probably not for everyone but for me it is and I plan to take full advantage! Normally Sunday night is full of stress and worry trying to plan my next week at school, when really I would like it to be filled with baking culinary masterpieces. Lucky me for the next 2 weeks I have nothing to do but what I want and one of those things is to bake and cook my little heart out!

Lucky you if you don’t like washing dishes this uses 1 pan for boiling noodles and then the same pan for cooking everything else! 2 pans…easy peasy to clean up :)

Ingredients:
Mushrooms
Zucchini
Chicken Breast
Milk
Butter
Flour
Garlic Cloves
Noodles
Garlic Mrs. Dash
Seasoning Salt
Cooking Wine or Chicken Broth

First: Start some water boiling and boil your noodles!

Next, you will cook everything in this order:
Vegetables
Chicken
White Sauce

First for the vegetables. You will need to chop up 2 zucchinis and 3 cups worth of mushrooms. IMG_5850
In a large skillet pan melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Then add the zucchini and mushrooms.
IMG_5852IMG_5854
Sprinkle with a bunch of Garlic Mrs. Dash and season salt. (don’t skimp!) IMG_5855IMG_5856
Put on medium heat and cover for about 10 minutes (stirring occasionally) until the zucchini is soft. IMG_5857

Remove Vegetables from pan leaving as many of the juices as you can. Chop the chicken into pieces and add to the pan along with a little bit of cooking wine. (or chicken broth but just like 2 tablespoons)

IMG_5862

Cook through on Medium high heat and remove from pan. Again leaving juices (don’t clean your pan yet!)

Melt 2 more tablespoons of butter and add 3 tablespoons of flour one at a time whisking to make a paste.

IMG_5864IMG_5865

IMG_5866

Add 3 cloves of garlic minced or shredded to the paste and stir around for a minute over medium heat.
IMG_5867

Then add 2 cups of milk (I used 2% because it is what I drink now that I am preggo!) Bring to a boil and whisk over medium high heat until all the flour chunks are gone. IMG_5870

Add all of the vegetables and chicken back to the sauce (get every single ounce of sauce out of the bowls they were in and dump that in too) Sprinkle some parsley , salt, and a little more garlic Mrs. Dash over the top and stir it all together.

IMG_5871IMG_5872

Somewhere during this process take your noodles out and drain them! Then mix some butter in so they don’t stick together. Put your noodles on the plate and add the sauce mixture on top. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top of that and enjoy!

IMG_5875

Tips from KJ:
Don’t let your husband make this. If you make it you can sneak bites of mushrooms while you are cooking everything else and he will never know.

Be careful because if you sneak too many mushrooms they will be gone before you can mix them into the white sauce. Then you will be sad when you eat your pasta(Really those mushrooms are so good!)

You can use cream or whatever else you want for the sauce but I like milk especially 2% it is so creamy.

Add any veggies you want to this! Other squash, broccoli, peppers etc.

This would be good too on actual fettuccini noodles…I just like linguini better.

My secret favorite spice to use is Garlic Mrs. Dash. I love it, I use it a lot when I need a quick garlic flavor. It is better than garlic salt or powder I think. My husband laughs at me because of my love for it…it is that strong.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment