Sunday, February 24, 2013

Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce (Our Sizzling Apple Pie)

When I was dating my hubby we felt like we had money! We would take each other out all the time! Then we got married and it was like all of our money was sucked into a black hole and we felt like we had to save save save all we could. Anyone else feel like that? We still go out on dates and do things but we are so super frugal now it is a little crazy. I am almost afraid to leave college and go into the real world because I only know how to be frugal. How to not buy that gallon of ice cream, steak, shrimp, cheesecake because we can’t afford it. It is going to be really weird when I am able to do those things. I think I will feel awkward spending money. We’ll see.

Anyway. During our dating lives we would always to go Applebees on the 4th of every month. (because we met that day) and have sizzling apple pie. Which just so happens to be the best thing ever. Once we were married we stopped going as much and I decided that this was just not acceptable and that we needed our own version of sizzling apple pie that we could have every month. After probably 5 months I came up with one that we LOVE. It is so good. With our without ice cream you will be wanting more! I wish I had a picture with ice cream for this post but we didn’t have any and ate every single bite and licked the pan clean before I had time to buy any.

And now for the recipe that will change your life:

IMG_6257

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For the crisp:

4 Apples peeled and chopped into squares
3 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1/3 Cup Sugar
1 tsp. Flour
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

Place the chopped apples in either a pie pan or an 8x8 baking dish. Squeeze the lemon juice on the top. Mix the sugar, flour, and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the apples. Mixing so all of the apples are coated.

Topping:

1 Cup Oats
1/3 Cup Flour
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/8 tsp. Baking Soda
2 Tablespoons Butter

Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix with 2 forks until it is crumbly. Sprinkle all over the top of the apples.

Bake at 350 for 30 Minutes. It will be nice and golden brown on top when it is done.

Meanwhile make the caramel sauce. This is sooooo easy and really yummy!

Caramel Sauce:

In a  saucepan melt 2 Tablespoons butter. Add 6 Tablespoons brown sugar and 1/2 cup milk. (I used vanilla almond milk) Simmer for about 3 minutes and then you are done! It is a very runny caramel sauce but it is perfect for this apple crisp. And for mug brownies…as a side note.

Tips from Kj:

ADD ICE CREAM. It only adds to the goodness! You can never go wrong with a scoop, or two, or three!

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! My husband loves apple anything, so I'm pretty sure if I made this for him he'd keep me around forever. Thanks for sharing at Wicked Good Wednesdays last week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure you already have your husband locked in because you make so many other YUMMY things! Plus you are well rounded! :)
      Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. Hi there,
    Stopping by from Sugar & Dots' FB page. This recipe looks ah-ma-zing! I'm off to pin it now!!

    --Elena
    acasarella.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elena! Thanks for visiting and pinning! :)

      Delete