Saturday, February 11, 2012

Hubby Homemaking: Blue Velvet Cake

My birthday was just a week ago and I got spoiled by the hubs. He made me funnel cakes for breakfast (recipe to come soon!) and he made me a delicious blue velvet birthday cake. It is the same as a red velvet cake but it is blue because that is my favorite color! How cute huh? It was delicous and so soft.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
2 oz. blue food coloring
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 350
Prepare pans by greasing them with butter and then coating them with flour. Put the flour in and pat and rotate the pan to distribute the flour evenly.
IMG_6661
Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.
IMG_6675
Mix food coloring and cocoa powder together in a small bowl. Beat butter and sugar together until it is light and fluffy. (If it was me I’d have to sneak a bite of this mixture…I LOVE having a bite of butter and sugar haha) Then add the eggs one at a time.

Then beat in cocoa powder and vanilla….at first it didn’t seem like it was going to change but then it started turning an amazing color of blue!
IMG_6689
Next alternate mixing in 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/2 cup butter milk, 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/2 cup buttermilk, and then the rest of the flour.
Then mix the vinegar and baking soda! It fizzes just like in a volcano :) Mix that into the batter and you are ready to fill your pans.
IMG_6694

IMG_6698
Pat the sides of the pan to make the air bubbles rise to the top.

LOVE that color!
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. In the meantime make this frosting:
16 oz. cream cheese (2 packages), softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter (one stick), softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
pinch of salt
First blend butter and cream cheese and then add the rest of the ingredients. (Mark said, “don’t come in here or you won’t want to eat this after…because of all the unhealthy ingredients” I said, “Luckily I’m pregnant! This is the perfect cake for me!” haha)
IMG_6713

When the cakes are beautiful and  done, run a spatula around them and flip them out of the pan.
IMG_6705IMG_6708IMG_6707
Frost the bottom layer…use A LOT! :)
IMG_6714IMG_6719
What a handsome baker…I might have to hire him when I open my bakery one day ;)
IMG_6722
Add the top cake and cover it some more!
IMG_6723
I forgot to take a picture of the entire cake…but here is one with candles and everythingIMG_6770IMG_6775
Check out that color inside! :) So awesome. This was a sweet birthday cake! Thanks to my hubby.
Tips from KJ:
Eat one piece of cake a day after your birthday until it is gone…because you are pregnant and you can!
Eat this even if you aren’t pregnant because the cream cheese frosting is so amazing it is totally worth all of the calories.
and…..Please be sure to make and eat this cake? haha





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment