Sunday, September 23, 2012

Chicken Fajitas

Normally when we go to Costco I go into the vegetable cooler and come out with Mushrooms. Period. I am always so tempted by all of the other delicious things in there but we are frugal so I get mushrooms and leave before I cram every other healthy veggie into my cart. Then I head over to Buy Low...which is like a on sale produce heaven here in good old Provo, UT. I may just cry when we leave because that store is my best friend. Seriously sometimes they have oranges 10 lbs for $1 NOT LYING PEOPLE. It is incredible and that is just one example. 

The only thing wrong with Buy Low is they normally have just your fruit and veggie basics so we don't ever get anything out of the ordinary...but we're frugal so it works. Now the other day I sent my hubby into the vegetable cooler because I didn't want to freeze my cute little dude that I was holding. And he does not come out with only mushrooms. He on the other hand and he comes out with: Asparagus, Sugar Snap Peas, and Mini Bell Peppers. Oh my how I love that man. Those are actually 3 of my most favorite things in the world! He does not even like the peas or the peppers but knows i'll eat them all raw in a week. 




I had to reward him for his purchases and decided to use the bell peppers in something he would eat: fajitas. We had these with the rice I posted Thursday. Here is what you need: 

First you are going to make a marinade for your chicken (cut into strips) and marinate it for 1 hour:

2 Boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips

1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
6 cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
Salt and black pepper, to taste

While your chicken is marinating cut up 1 onion into strips and about 6 mini bell peppers or 2 regular sized bell peppers into strips. 

Once chicken is done marinating dump it with the sauce into a skillet and cook until the chicken is cooked through. Take the chicken out and add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet (but don't rinse it out at all leave everything from the chicken in the skillet) Cook your bell peppers and onion until soft and add the chicken back into the pan. By now your kitchen should smell so delicious you might find yourself sneaking bites of the fajita mixture before you tell anyone else dinner is ready. 


Tips from KJ: 

We had these on corn tortillas...but you can have them on any kind of tortilla you want. 

You could also add some cheese and enchilada sauce and turn these into enchiladas or smothered burritos. 

We just had them with sour cream and guacamole but the fun thing about fajitas is that you control what goes on them and what doesn't :) 

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Visiting from Not Your Ordinary Blog Hop. The only thing I would change is to use some of our Thrive ingedients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Right now we live in this absolutely TINY apartment without any storage....so we don't really have food storage space but I was looking at your site and your products look great! We do want to have food storage though so in a year when we're done with school and we have a bigger place to store things we will try some out for sure! :)

      Delete