Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pineapple Ginger Chicken (Chinese)

I think I’ve said this before but I LOVE Chinese food. I think it is my top favorite kind of food. I know there is a lot of good Chinese out there just waiting for me to sink my teeth into. One of my favorite things is this coconut shrimp that we’ve only ever been able to find at some Chinese Buffets. I am determined to figure out how to make it though…it is SOOO good. As soon as I can have all my normal foods again I am heading straight to Panda Express to get some orange chicken and an egg roll, thank you. 

For the time being I am still creating soy sauce free Chinese food and having fun doing it. This was so good we have had it 3 times now. Lucky for me Mark likes it too so he doesn’t mind that I keep making it. (Kind of like the meatloaf cupcakes I keep making practically once a week…post coming soon)

IMG_5376

Ingredients:

2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts Cubed

1 tsp oil (we use canola)
1 Small Onion cut into small strips
3 Cloves Garlic-Minced
1 1/3 cup Apple Juice
1 1/2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Ginger
1 18oz can Crushed Pineapple

Heat oil over medium high heat in a skillet. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for about 3 minutes and then add the chicken and 1/3 cup apple juice and cook until the chicken is browned on the outside (doesn’t need to be cooked through in the middle yet)

Add all of the rest of the ingredients and stir them up. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

Tips from Kj:

Add mushrooms, pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, broccoli, green beans etc. as you are simmering it. They all make great additions!

We served this over white “sticky rice” (just add a little more water than normal to your rice as you are cooking it)

For a thicker sauce mix 1 Tablespoon cornstarch with a little bit of water to make a paste and add to the sauce it should thicken up in just a few minutes.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment