Sunday, February 17, 2013

Orange Rolls with Cream Cheese Glaze

I decided to whip up one of my hubby’s favorite treats for Valentines day this year. I figured it couldn’t be too hard. I already love making cinnamon rolls so just add some orange zest and ta da you have orange rolls…right?? Actually yes! Right! (Plus a few other tweaks) Normally I buy these at the store in the little tubes that scare you when you open them. This year with our poor college student “no money for Valentines rule” I had to go homemade. This morning he was headed to the fridge to get his usual bagel and I was getting my baby up for the day…running into the kitchen I probably looked like a crazy person as I pretty much forbade him from opening the fridge. Then I proceeded to get out his surprise breakfast and he seemed pretty excited.
 IMG_6210
Something you should know about these rolls is that if you have a sweet tooth. It will be satisfied. And it might even beg you for more! My hubby doesn’t have too much of a sweet tooth and he said they were very good just very sweet…he ate it all though so that was a good sign that he really did think it was good! If he thinks something is too sweet and it is not good he’ll just leave it there on his plate…for me to finish after I finish mine. Which I always am happy to do! I was drooling wishing I could eat one. I think I’ll freeze one to eat when my baby boy is weaned. Or I’ll just make a whole batch just for me in May :)
These are super easy and yummy just make sure you have a few hours where you will be at home when you make them. They need a little bit more attention than other recipes.

For the ROLL DOUGH you need:

1 Package Yeast
1 Cup Warm Milk
1/4 Cup Hot Water
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1 egg
1/8 C Orange Juice
1 Tsp Orange Zest
1 Tsp Vanilla
3 1/2-4 Cups Flour

In a small dish dissolve the yeast in the hot water let it sit for about 3 minutes. Meanwhile mix the milk, butter, sugar, salt, and egg together. Add yeast mixture and mix well. Add 3 cups of flour at first and then add more until you have a ball of dough. Lightly flour a flat surface and knead for about 5 minutes. Place ball of dough in a greased dish and cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled or for about an hour. (I normally warm up my oven as  I’m making the dough turn it off and place the dough in there)
While your dough is rising make the filling.

For the FILLING you need:

1/2 C Butter Melted
1 C Sugar
2 Tablespoons Orange Zest
1/8 Tsp Nutmeg
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
Mix Sugar, Zest, Nutmeg, Brown Sugar and set aside.
When the dough has finished rising punch it down divide it in half and roll it out into a long rectangleish shape. Brush the dough with half of the butter:
IMG_6187
Sprinkle half of the filling mixture over the top of that:
IMG_6189

Now you have to decide if you want large rolls or small rolls. If you want mini rolls start on the long side and roll it into a long tube. Slice the rolls about 1 inches thick and place in a baking dish so there is space between them. If you want big rolls roll it from the short side and cut them the 1 1/2 inches thick and place them in a baking dish big enough that there is space between them. You want them to have room to rise up and get comfy. See Below:
IMG_6194
Let rise for another 45 Minutes. I told you you couldn’t leave! These babies need your tender love and care. While you wait you can make the glaze!

For the Cream Cheese GLAZE you need:
2-3 C Powdered Sugar
4 Tablespoons Cream Cheese
4 Tsp Milk
1 Tsp Orange Juice
1 Tsp lemon Juice
Mix starting with 2 Cups powdered sugar and mix adding more until you have a consistency you like. I like thicker glaze so I used more powdered sugar.

Now your rolls have risen. You might be feeling worried. There seems to be a lot of liquid in the pan. Oh no! It is okay. You WANT that! It is buttery orangey goodness. It will leave a yummy “sauce” on the bottom of your roll. It is good. Promise!
IMG_6195
Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes for the small ones and 20 for the large ones. But watch them closely when the time gets near. You want them to be nice and golden on top.
Then brush your glaze over the top and there you have it!
IMG_6205
Tips from Kj:
If you want to make these into cinnamon rolls that will work too! Omit the orange juice and zest from the dough. (You will need a little less flour)

For the filling use the same amount of butter but mix 1 Cup Sugar, 4 Tbsp Brown Sugar, and 2 Tbsp Cinnamon to sprinkle over the top of the butter.

For the glaze just don’t use orange juice or lemon juice. You might need a few extra teaspoons of milk and a little more cream cheese.

I am linking up at: Sugar & Slice :) Come party with me! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment