Thursday, September 20, 2012

Sweet Lime Rice


When I first married Mark I was not really much of a rice eater. I would have it every now and then but really it was not a staple in my diet. I quickly learned that while I LOVED potatoes and veggies as sides with meals Mark really loved rice. It soon became something I loved too and I have fun trying out new rice recipes so we don't have to have plain white rice all the time. (Or I would not love having rice always) Even if it is just adding a few herbs/spices rice is easy to experiment with.

This rice gets most of it's credit from my mom. She has a recipe for it and she has given me the recipe too. But, we were up camping and we didn't have the recipe so I decided to just wing it. I came up with this rice (it does not taste like her original recipe but my dad liked it so much he said she had to get the recipe from him.....so then I had to try to re-create it and I got pretty close I think!)

Ingredients:

4 Servings rice pre-cooked. (you can use instant or regular...I normally use my rice maker for this part) This is about 4 cups of rice.
1/3 c Milk
1/2 c Sugar
Juice of 2 limes
2 Tsp Dried Cilantro
Salt to taste

Once your rice is done just add all of your ingredients and stir it up! I like to add salt to this because it gives a little bit of a nice contrast to the sweet. It is okay though if you just want to let everyone add salt as they see fit because it is very good without it!

Tips from KJ:

If your rice is seeming a little dry you can add a little more milk. It is supposed to be more of a sticky rice consistency.

We always use Vanilla Soy Milk for this. I can't have dairy right now and Mark just can't have cows milk so we pretty much only drink Soy milk in the Helberg home :)

If you don't like Cilantro leave it out! Or if you love it than add FRESH! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment