Thursday, October 11, 2012

Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Yams...Sweet Potatoes... two words that are absolutely confusing. From what I understand what we call Yams are really actually sweet potatoes? These are not orange that is for sure so just to clairfy we made these with the yams/sweet potatoes that have lighter skin and flesh. Not brown skin and orange flesh. But happy day! You can make these with either one and they will be delicious I cross my heart and hope to die.

Just as a disclaimer. I know, don't worry I promise I know, that fries are so delicious fried. Hence the name. My husband thinks they are delicious fried. And so do a lot of other people in my immediate family, extended family, apartment complex, county, state...um... the world? I like them fried but...I love them BAKED! I like thicker potato pieces and I like them to get a little crunchy from the oven but then they don't have grease all over them. Yuck. I feel like when I fry my own fries at home they are always a lot more greasy than fries you get from fast food. I need to invest in a high quality fryer and then maybe we'll talk about frying fries at my home.  Until then the oven is my friend.

The great thing about these is that sweet potatoes are good for you! Using cooking spray helps keep them pretty low in fat :)


Ingredients:

3-4 Sweet Potatoes washed and sliced into strips
Season Salt
Cooking Spray

Pre-Heat your oven to 350

Take your sweet potatoes and lay them on a cookie sheet. Do a spray with the cooking spray over the whole sheet and toss the potatoes around to make sure they are coated. Then sprinkle season salt over the potatoes and toss again to make sure all of the potatoes are covered in the salt. (Not covered completely of course but that they all have some salt on them) I am one who likes a lot of the season salt so I am not very good at using sparingly....maybe taking the nutrition level down a notch. haha

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until they are the softness you desire.

Tips from Kj:

If you put the sweet potatoes in the microwave for 3 minutes before you slice them they are a lot easier to cut and they cook a little faster!

I love the salty sweet combination that the season salt gives. But I love to experiment with different seasonings that we have. Steak seasoning, Mrs. Dash...you name it we try it on potatoes and it is often times really good! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment