Sunday, January 27, 2013

Steak Curry

The first time I made curry Mark and I were on an instant diet. We tried and tried but could not finish the food. It was SO HOT. I put way too much curry paste in it. I had no idea how powerful it would be. I think we each lost like 2 pounds from sweating. (Okay not really but I’m telling you…it was the hottest thing I’ve ever had) Fortunately I figure out a good ratio of curry paste that is the right temperature for us. Just the right amount of spice! As a bonus if you are pregnant we had my chicken curry recipe the same day that I went into labor with Jayden…so if you are trying to get your baby to come this curry might be the way to go! (You also must go on a 1 hour walk…lol that was the other thing I did that day)

IMG_5655

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp Oil (I use canola)
1 Tbsp Green Curry Paste
1 1/2 C Almond Milk
2 tsp Brown Sugar
1 tsp Basil
1/2 tsp Salt
8 White Mushrooms Sliced
1/2 Head of Cabbage Cut into 4 Wedges and then separated
1 Sweet Potato cut into half circles

Heat your oil and 1 Tbsp Curry paste in a frying pan and make sure the paste is incorporated into the oil.

Add the mushrooms and steak sautéing until the steak is browned.

Add the almond milk, brown sugar, basil, sweet potatoes and salt and mix everything together. Bring to  boil.

Then place the cabbage on the top and cover with a lid. turn heat down to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft.

IMG_5653

Serve over white rice.

Tips from Kj:

You can add white potatoes to this. Eggplant is also a great addition!

I have been keeping our curry paste in the freezer and it has last us forever! We have curry probably once a month.

I know that this is not exactly “legitimate” curry. But it is just a variation I made because we never have the ingredients that you need to make legitimate curry. We really love this and I think you will too!

If you have coconut milk you can also use that instead of almond milk. 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment